FW: Unusual initial cross

Richard Offen richard.offen at _ZvH5AnN723uffTU344u6rxS1lMq3rLzHBrr1Kuy2dIxnjAb_rc6q8paSVOVNb2aaejZe18QC1FwqUrSCs9Qjg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 15 21:49:25 GMT 2007

Dr Baron deserves 11/10 for persistence!   He's been trying to find
out more about this small bell for some time and has contacted a
great may people for help.

For those interested, the bell is the small sanctus bell at Eastry,
Kent, which is currently hung (very poorly) as a model in the ringing
room.   Further details can be found on the following page of Mr
Love's excellent guide to the bells of Kent:

http://kent.lovesguide.com/eastry.htm

Richard

Century)
> bell by looking for similarities in the bell's inscription with
published
> details of the inscriptions on other bells.
>

> Up to now, I have trawled through some 14 different 'Church Bells
of (County
> X)' books, without finding a match for the initial cross in the
inscription
> on our bell. Our initial cross is in the form of a heraldic 'cross
formee'
> or 'cross pattee', but most like a military German Iron Cross.
While this
> shape is common in 14th Century bell inscriptions and in mint marks
on 14th
> Century English 'Edwards' coinage, where the version of the cross
on our
> bell differs from all similar crosses I have seen so far, is that
the flat
> ends of all four of the cross's arms have a row of three balls or
circles
> beween the cross ends & the perimeter of the cross's rectangular
stamp. This
> makes a total of 12 circles, or balls, which could conceivably
represent the
> 12 apostles. The only other representation of a cross surrounded by
12 balls
> that I have seen, is the Cross of Toulouse, France. In this case,
the form
> of the cross is similar, though not as pronounced as the German
Iron Cross,
> but the ends of the arms are not flat, as in our bell inscription,
but are
> pointed (more like an arrow head). Please note, that the three
balls at each
> end  of our cross's four arms, are not arranged in a triangular
> configuration, as is usual in a cross botonnee, or trefoil cross.
Between
> each ball and the flat ends of the cross, there is a hint of a
thin 'stalk'
> joining each ball to the flat cross ends. This may just be the
result of a
> fine bell founding groove, to allow the molten bell metal to run
from the
> cross into the hemispherical 'balls'. Is it possible that we have a
French
> bell and not an English bell, as thought previously. Following our
initial
> cross, the rest of the bells inscription reads 'AVE MARIA GRACIA' in
> Lombardic Capitals on individual letter stamps, with 'Royal Head'
word stops
> between the AVE & MARIA and between the MARIA & GRACIA. Both
the 'G' and the
> 'R' in GRACIA were cast upside-down. There are three moulding wires
both
> above and below the inscription on our bell. The bell weighs 70 lbs
and the
> 'mouth' is about 14.5 inches in diameter.
>

> I have been in contact with both the Rev. David Cawley (who, with
Ranald