[Bell Historians] Steel kingpost frame

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at PxWXqxo3uHftSOENGmjIoFhGxlhGicWk91M1UU1_2Rh80QA1yaFHncydt-5hBAjolKSxX5xE80Gmzhe4TYO3U3LHX83grOk.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 26 08:04:30 BST 2007

I see the baring bolts that broke on the open day, because of rust, have not been replaced so the bell is still unringable.

________________________________

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 23 March 2007 21:22
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Steel kingpost frame

*** WARNING ***

Mr Birney and I have been out bell spotting in East Yorkshire this
afternoon. One of the towers visited was Catwick, where there are two
pre-reformation bells hung for ringing in a modern frame and with modern
fittings by Taylor's - 1930s if I remember correctly from a previous
discussion, but I don't seem to have a note of the exact year.

Anyway, the frame is rather unusual. It is all of steel, being composed of
channel, angle and RSJ sections, and is of kingposted design - I have never
seen this in a metal frame before (G&J occasionally used steel queenposts,
as at Carisbrooke). Has anyone else ever come across frames of this design,
or is it unique?

I attach a photo.