[Bell Historians] Steel kingpost frame

Alan Birney alanjbirney at 1V3BUN5w9-G2U7vh3LYKUN8I75Z5G_5aPPVfcpdIQxv0V_o5YnflIhOjTExXz8bKbKBlAI54s-Z8lJGPNIJslPXFrQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 26 13:46:06 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> "I fear scrape and paint would not prevent a recurrence.
> That must be prevented as the RSJ frame head has lost a lot of
metal,
> and would be destroyed if further serious rusting occurred."
>
> It didn't look that bad, but it isn't really possible to tell for
sure
> without lifting the bell. If too much has corroded away it will
need to be
> plated. The problem appears to have been caused by a leaking roof,
but the
> roof has obviously recently been replaced so the problem shouldn't
recur.

> David
>
> --

    An additional note is that someone has painted over rusty bolts,
so it is possible that even if the bolts had been inspected closely
before ringing, there would have been no evidence to suggest they
would go when the bells were rung full circle.

    This problem would probably have gone unnoticed for years as the
bells just appear to be chimed, so perhaps something good came out
of the incident.

Alan