[Bell Historians] Re: St John's Church Hanley

mapmdad mapmdad at K4bXhJyRofFX3Uu9w9kqrnFsoCWhdQ1A0v8e9Q2biEdkZ08yANzJHC_-DLXhuYmSMmYchkjAYzef.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 27 20:04:17 BST 2007

Sorry not to have posted until now on this topic. As the recently
appointed secreatary of Lichfield diocese redundant churches uses
committee (as well as parish priest of two parishes, one of which has
a ring of six bells) I have picked up a veritable can of worms with
Hanley.

Our local ringers association have commissioned a report from an
independent consultant (Adrian Dempster). We spent a happy hour
(actually it was blowing a gale) at the top of the tower last Tuesday
examining the bells and the frame. I'm awaiting the report.

Some of you have raised the bigger question of the future of the
building. I am working with the redundant churches committee at the
church commissioners, and have also involved the local authority
conservation architect should listed building alteration or
demolition be necessary. Speaking purely personally I think that to
demolish would be a shame. Saint john's is not a beautiful building,
but it has the architectural features noted by others here, and it is
a good building right in the city centre. However, the final decision
lies elsewhere, and this building cannot carry on as it is.

One pressing issue, irrespective of the future of the building, is to
safeguard what i am told is a very good peal of bells. I am grateful
for the help of the local bellringers association and for the
intervention of the keltec trust. I am open to suggestions and to
donations towards the cost of the work. Please accept that i am new
to this situation. Rather than trying to second guess the diocese, or
speculate on procedural matters, I will value your support and
advice.

Fr Richrd Grigson

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Rivet" <peter at ...>
wrote:

> Controls over the demolition of redundant church buildings raise
interesting
> issues and I must admit that I had to look up the answer to David's
> question.
>
> It is set out in the government advice note PPG15 (Planning Policy
> Guidance - Planning & the Historic Environment).  Paragraph 8.15
says that
> in the case of Church of England churches, partly or totally
demolishing a
> church in pursuance of a Pastoral Measure is still exempt from
listed
> building control.  However the Church Commissioners have agreed
that where
> they want to demolish a listed church in these circumstances they
will ask
> the Secretary or State if he wishes to hold a non-statutory public
inquiry
> where English Heritage, the local authority or any of the
recognised amenity
> bodies put forward reasoned objections.  Interestingly this doesn't
apply to
> places of worship of any other denomination - the view taken by the
Courts
> is that a building cannot be considered to be in use as a place of
worship
> if it is totally demolished, so they would need consent to knock it
down if
> it's listed.
>
> But paragraph 8.17 of PPG15 goes on to say that when a Church of
England
> building is no longer in regular ecclesiastical use, it is fully
subject to
> the normal listed building controls.  This applies once the
declaration of
> redundancy under the Pastoral Measure comes into operation.  The
same also
> applies to those churches vested in the Churches Conservation
Trust, even
> though church services are held in most of them on an occasional
basis.  I
> have looked up English Heritage's listing description for St John's
Hanley
> and it describes it as "now disused" so I would have thought that
it is
> fairly clear that it is now within the remit of the local planning
> authority.
>
> The reason that St Johns is listed grade II* is because it uses
cast iron
> structural and decorative components, notably the gallery columns,
the
> window frames and the castellations.  The church was built in 1788-
90.  It
> is thought that these components are some of the earliest to have
been used
> in any type of building in Britain, only those at St James
Liverpool of
> 1774-5 being identified as earlier.
>
> Contrary to what I expected the listing description does mention
the bells,
> which is unusual in the case of twentieth century ones:  "Bell
chamber with
> peal of 10 bells, the original peal of 8 bells cast by Edward
Arnold of
> Leicester and installed in 1791, supplemented by two additions in
1891, and
> all re-cast and rehung from a contemporary bellframe in 1923".
>
> Peter Rivet

England, the