[Bell Historians] Petham, Kent

Richard Offen richard.offen at Sb5z4y00UsXtip0-GRF1NOGQgAtzscuy7xNY8AmCM-dKM9lADpdWs0Ck4vVWbJnjyuZVPpeyq3ToiTU3sFaZsD71u9o.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 28 02:02:42 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Dickon Love" <dickon at ...>
wrote:

> The inscriptions on these bells are all rather bland and generic
which
> suggests that they were perhaps cast before they were destined for
> Petham. The old bells were destroyed by fire in 1922 and the new
bells
> came along remarkably quickly!
>
> I know a little about this place - it is where I was taught to ring,
> where I rang my first peal(s) and where my father was Rector. (I'd
be
> interested in a copy of your recording Bill.)
>
> DrL

I too know these bells extremely well, having spent many happy hours
ringing peals and quarter peals on them - I even called Dickon's
second peal on them!

They were indeed Whitechapel's first experimental `true-harmonic'
ring which, like rings such as Brewood for Taylors, represent the
firm's transition to what they and G & J always termed `Simpson'
tuning.   The ring was not, however, as Dickon suggests, a stock peal
sold on to Petham.   I say this because, even when I was at
Whitechapel nearly forty years ago, the `Simpson' gauges
corresponding to the diameters of Petham bells were
labelled "P1", "P2', "P3", etc.

For all their tuning discrepancies, they are, as Bill says, a very
pretty little ring with a lovely warm sound.

Richard