[Bell Historians] Auction of Bilbie bell

Robert Lewis editor at BjyseOkb5Uu7mvXOlTyt1rcToccSp8U56ZXs6ZZQ5bPfYgKdmbXOTeLjbSK4OBnlvgEDE62_A82llRlG1_WffFIQUC0.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 29 15:44:35 BST 2007

I notice that Dreweatt Neate auctioneers have got
a bell coming up in their Bristol (Apsley Rd) Clock Sale on 17th April:

Here is the catalogue entry:

Lot 149

"A rare cast turret clock/church bell Bilbie,
Cullompton, dated 1807 The exterior with ring
decoration and inscribed DAN'L BARBER ESQ 1807,
BILBIE CULLOMPTON FECIT beneath cast suspension
loops, 42cm high, 45cm diameter. This bell was
cast by Thomas Castleman Bilbie who is recorded
in Moore, Rice & Hucker Bilbie and The Chew
Valley Clockmakers as working in Cullompton
1781-1814. He was invited by Cullompton
churchwardens to make a new clock for the church
in 1811 for which he charged 55-0-0.
Est. £300 - 400"

There is a photo of the bell on the website: www.dfna.com

The last (Whitechapel) bell I saw at a Dreweatt's
Sale in Newbury last year only went for around
£300, which I thought was pretty good value
(wished I had made a bid for it subsequently!!)

RAL