[Bell Historians] Books. was Half-pull Ringing

Alan Ellis alan_ellis at zMO2fSo0chbLvqa7tYs1dAUBneXXDtykFMCR0-jtHGTPWVuZMOAeOZ7u5Wq1hWiFBFbiQObiHXQq4Fxmig.yahoo.invalid
Fri Nov 16 16:49:13 GMT 2007

Hello Rod et al,

Thank goodness that I and many others believe that the written word and
books will never be dead.  And not just because Sue and Margaret C. are
  librarians.  I'm even more convinced that books will live on after
having had a recent tour of The Bodleian library.

Paper manufacturing may well be an environmental nightmare in some
respects, but then so is the manufacture of computers and the generation
of electricity.  There is far more toxic waste created from the
manufucture of computers than pulp.

Computers have a greater effect on one's eyesight than reading a book
and books do not cause carpel tunnel.

What will happen when we run out of electricity?   (Hopefully never)  or
when the power has to be turned off to ration it (as will probably
happen)?  Then how do we access all that electronic data?

They are both sources of history, data and prose.  They complement each
other.

Best wishes

Alan