[Bell Historians] French clocks.

David Cawley dave at 9DzanQpwvsTG94laBHnn4DhSTbJ6tNgT8fT0HKpyIWmbn5YSyI5jZADHoGScWAq1sib-fenFqYFJmlEIc40A5voBb3Up.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 29 18:54:22 GMT 2007

Dare one suggest that it is in case one didn't hear it the first time :)

I've also seen it suggested that even if one did hear it first time round, the number of blows may have been miscounted or partly missed - so one would be able to listen carefully the second time round.

It helped of course at 12.30 13.00 or 13.30 if there was a half-hour single blow without quarters or separate bells, as the 13.00 bell would strike twice; but would not have differentiated 12.30 and 13.30.

Another interesting variation is where all the quarters were accompanied by the preceding hour.

Village Bells is recommended reading, but hard work, even in English.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan Buswell
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 1:59 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] French clocks.

  Seems a bit quiet at the moment so how about this?
  Why is it that some French clocks strike the hour twice? One hears it the first time and then two minutes later it strikes again as if one had not heard it the first time. I have read Alain Corbin's book 'Village Bells' but there seems nothing in there to explain this.

  A.A.J.B.