[Bell Historians] French clocks.

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at Ea46FdYp-zo-cdeEE_qIOnF0zVVcgUR6I0l733FnWsitLkSkG5zpSuKqAJVCGy2u_NEj-_e00YdG_C6FsHabH6yr6UGeQv08.yahoo.invalid
Tue Oct 30 15:22:26 GMT 2007

Could there be ignorance of engineering principles?
The chime speed will be variable for a number of reasons, but not the
height of the weights.
the speed governor is usually an air fan.
its resistance is effected by air density and simple facts like whether
weather the clock case is open or closed.
Generally the fan blades are made adjustable so the chime speed can be
adjusted.
The form of adjustment usually is a friction fit of the blades on the
arms, allowing them to be turned to change the air resistance.
They can easily be changed during routine inspection if accidentally
knocked and I suspect change with time, due to the stress and vibration
generated during use.
I rather like the idea of a variable time standard as it introduces an
element of luck into who actually beats the clock.