[Bell Historians] Rudhall/Whitechapel

Anne Willis zen16073 at XbBPMKE_OwC2ZGMhl9HQMqfsS6qOEA3vtvDI9999XccOvzxni6bHvhpJRTtOGbBrwK0TluzREZmii7NztA.yahoo.invalid
Sun Sep 9 14:50:36 BST 2007

Thanks

Anne

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Chris Pickford
Sent: 08 September 2007 18:19
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Rudhall/Whitechapel

In 1835 after John Rudhall's death, although the date 1829 is often quoted
(based, I believe, on an incorrect interpretation by Ellacombe). In pretty
extensive researches, I have found no evidence to support the 1829 date -
although there is an advertisment stating that Rudhall's widow disposed of
the business to Mears in 1835.

However, John Rudhall went bankrupt in 1814 and this forced him to sell up
his house and the foundry. What we do not know, is exactly who owned the
foundry from that time onwards - or whether Mears acquired an interest in
the business at that time.

CP