[Bell Historians] Re: The Redundant Bells of St Nicholas, Cork - Ringing ...

Richard Offen richard.offen at i2LVVeaNUU3DOgzWlW0wI1p8zmNjaEnxn5jJcIWXaZZpATtWIdtTNv5gwk-PpcXvWz_szN-dDADpdzLzu0vYQA.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 29 13:41:53 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at ... wrote:

> richard.offen at ... writes:
>
> The  real question is were the bells really worth  saving?
>

> These were actually pretty good. Certainly no worse than the Mears
8  which
> we currently have in our works from Highgate, and had similar (if
a  little
> better) tonal structure. It is a pitty that the St Pat's Melbourne
ring  were not
> retuned when they were rehung - I am sure they would have improved
> drastically. I personally feel that it was a shame that such a rare
ring could  not be
> preserved, but sadly I am forced to look at it from a business,
rather  than
> heritage point of view!

I don't think anyone should blame you Matt for what has to be a
business decision on your part.   I still remain unconvinced however
that the ring would actually end up being all that good even after
tuning, but that is a purely subjective opinion.

What is more important is the need to prioritise the use of what
funds are availble, and I must admit I wouldn't give an inferior
(only my opinion I know)Murphy eight a particularly high priority,
especially as there are others about ...it has to be said I also
wouldn't give a ninteenth century Mears ring much of a priority
either!

Richard

Richard