Carillon players (was: York Minster Carillon)

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ZTQ0eedmxX8ThoXUijxedotQcrPCjfxhR905e3X4d03eftJwLaHg34AkJivVdUWr8Czp3oifcLc.yahoo.invalid
Sun Apr 6 17:55:32 BST 2008

At 19:34 +0800 08/04/06, Richard Offen wrote:
>I'm delighted to see that the player of this new instrument is being
>referred to as a 'carilloneur' and not that dreadful modernism the
>'carillonist'!
_____

A brief discussion of the origin and etymology of the commonest words
for people who play the carillon can be found here:
    http://www.gcna.org/data/Glossary_alpha.html#cplayer
It covers both the dreadful Frenchification "carillonneur" as well as
the excellently English "carillonist".

If you're also interested in pronunciation, or curious about
mis-spellings, especially as matters of bell-related history
[on-topic!], you might visit this page:
    http://www.gcna.org/data/carillion.html

Cordially yours,

Carl Scott Zimmerman, carillonist and campanologist
Webmaster for, and Carillonneur Member of,
   The Guild of Carillonneurs in North America
(also a member of the Board of Directors of the GCNA)