Old-style trebles (was Nominal or Hum)

Bill Hibbert bill at 8qH3EgikwsvfuNs7Fva_NXNxuK78OvVSUg2vL2c5IWxNxeET7i58cls0debK8BLnqkuLCHK-OM2RZzDoJw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Apr 17 10:41:55 BST 2008

Me:
> ... [in] small old-style bells ... the various pitches compete and
sound discordant

DJB:
> Is the problem exacerbated by the thickness of the bell?

In another part of my PhD thesis, I look at the partial frequencies
and weights of about 2,000 bells: 15 countries, 100+ founders, 7+
centuries, 19kg to 65 tonnes, i.e. a reasonable sample. I found no
significant correlation between hum tuning and weight, so that in
general old-style bells are not proportionally lighter or heavier
than true-harmonic bells. I didn't look specifically at thickness as
the data is not (easily) available.

However, picking up on the inference behind your comment; the
deficient sound of old-style trebles is caused mostly by sharp hums
and also by flat primes. These things matter much more in small
bells than big ones for the reasons hinted at in my previous post.

Cheers,

Bill H