[Bell Historians] Weymouth Bell

Anne Willis zen16073 at BcLp3Zf8Ck3YB6b3iaT5rgl4hKFs0HAAoCv6goOD6mfavW6T5OJSiqoL8ohtsgD08S0hIUIBGBBRYQ.yahoo.invalid
Sun Apr 20 20:25:49 BST 2008

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 20 April 2008 18:11
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Weymouth Bell

“Pictures of this bell now in the picture area of this site.”
It’s certainly a typical product of its founder. The tall, flared crown,
flat top and sprawling inscription are characteristic of many bells by the
Purdues, who were amongst the most talented founders of their era and
spanned several generations. Particularly fine Purdue bells include Queen
Camel tenor (Richard I), the 9th, 11th and bourdon at Exeter Cathedral
(Thomas), the 11th at St Mary Redcliffe (Roger I), plus many others.
Examples of their work is numerous throughout Somerset and Devon, with a
scattering further afield.

David

There's quite a few Richard Purdue bells in Wiltshire including two at
Boyton (wrongly attributed to Roger Purdue, Richard's ?younger brother); the
4th at Erlestoke and the old 7th at Westbury.  One of the Boyton bells and
the old Westbury bell both have the lovely motto BE YE MERYAL, and the Royal
Arms.

Richard Purdue probably taught John Lott I of Warminster.  Two very similar
inscriptions are at Brailes;
I AM HEE FOR RICHARD PURDI MADE MEE . . . 1624
and the fourth at Frome:
I AM HEE FOR JOHN LOTT MADE MEE . . .1624

John Lott I used the royal arms on his 1629 bell at Enford.