[Bell Historians] ALL SAINTS Boughton Aluph, Kent

Richard Offen richard.offen at 1tOq9aVwZTvgOD9z6slaPrxZ_0D7Dvf8MtgxRVxvgOrfpZr8OiX6dmBS2YCF7bN8yCMzZQz3dqj3c3dW2X_SMH1wag.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 21 14:43:35 BST 2008

Thanks David, I knew you could be relied upon to come up with the definitive
reply.

   _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Cawley
Sent: Monday, 21 April 2008 8:23 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] ALL SAINTS Boughton Aluph, Kent

All Saints, Boughton Aluph.

1. The bells were sold by the authority of a Faculty. I have a copy of it.

2. The bells of Eastwell Church werre likewise sold by the authority of a
Faculty.  I have a copy of it.

3. The bells at each were taken out in two successive weeks in 1952. The
iron frame at Eastwell was also taken out. The 3-bell section of the
Boughton Aluph frame was left and remains in situ. See the relevant towers
on kent.lovesguide.-com

4. The words GABRIELIS and one canon from the Boughton Aluph tenor were
purchased by RWMC and now repose in the Canterbury Heritage Museum (the old
Pooor Priest's Hospital in Stour Street). Also there are the William le
Belyetere c1325 tenor of 3 ex Kingston (which Richard will remember, with
me, as being one of the most arch-derelict threes ever) and the c1500 old
tenor from the old St Mary Bredin, Canterbury (see my RW article on the lost
ring of Canterbury in the RW a few years ago, also in the 'articles' section
of lovesguide).

5. Some of the metal from the tenor was indeed used by G&J to cast the
little coronation bells, but the majorioty of it was - with the other four
and the Eastwell metal, used for the Aberdeen carillon. I have documentary
evidence for this.

As I said in my Christmas article this year "Hell Fire Corner", there is to
be a sequel, "Bomb Alley", which will deal with the bells of Eastwell,
Boughton Aluph and Challock which were neighbouring casualties of the
aftermath of war rather than the conflict itself. I now have much more
primary source material than was available to me in my 1982 article.

DLC