Diameters (was Dogmersfield)

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at YyY51WDr5LuiuxfzYGrruquqwwKutS5p9G3T4lPz_wdkBT-8HxHY4vWJfNRB3lH364nl1JVrK-0r-Md9ur5FmwaRkVSk3hbJ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 7 14:42:33 BST 2008

We've been here before, I think, but no two people - bellfounders or what the Victorians used to term "Bell hunters" - will measure diameters exactly the same. Even people who are careful and measuring in idea circumstances may vary by up to 1/8" and sometimes more.

While some bells are elliptical, that's not really a major reason for variations in quoted diameters. It's much more about human error, access, degree of care and (let's not forget it) the accuracy of measuring equipment - minor damage to the end of a steel tape can easily lead to an error of 1/16" or more.

Anyway, all I'm really saying is that while accurate measurement is clearly desirable, there's a practical limit - and it's not worth getting het up about differences of 1/8" or 1/16"

CP