16th and 17th Century tuning

Bill Hibbert bill at o_4TtRGwq4xOOK6S5ACdMH3qQU-WjC8BqMh7gE_G-nv-nNaNxHZPBQiuGZEdjQ8Pbsus8ejj7lmG.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 11 11:36:31 BST 2008

Richard Smith:

> Is anyone aware of any research into how the tuning of rings
> of bells evolved during the 16th and 17th centuries?

> Heinrich Glarean didn't publish 'Dodecachordon' until 1547,
> and this is usually credited as the point when the major
> scale (his Ionian mode) was introduced

Grateful though I am for the plug for my website from Richard Offen,
I have not done done any work on this question. However, I am quite
surprised at the suggesion that the major scale was not introduced
until as late as 1547. A quick glance at 'The Church Anthem Book'
offers anthems by Jacques Arcadelt (1490-1575) and Thomas Tallis
(1510-1585), both in F Major. Wikipedia suggests that the church
modes (including Ionian) originated in the 9th century, and that the
various modes and scales were known to the Greeks in 350BC. I expect
that Grove's Dictionary will give an authoritative account.

Tuning of bells prior to the introduction of change-ringing might
well not use diatonic scales or modes at all. I am put in mind of the
continental practice of tuning sets of bells for chiming together. An
example plucked at random is the modern peal at Paderborn, where the
bells are tuned down the scale to F#, E, C#, B, A, F#.

I suspect that research into tuning practice in the UK might well be
hampered by lack of examples. Apart from Smithfield, are there any
other 16th century or earlier sets of four or more bells?

Regards,

Bill H