Carillon

Bill Hibbert bill at rmpov6NKSJSS1qdppMRltNwycdBBg_mgIA3a9v8VciQntdukKFADlky442dLOFak-nrEoKkKrWWN.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 21 22:00:25 BST 2008

There will be no point in tuning the proposed bourdon of 75t,
certainly not in any any conventional sense, because any partial we
normally talk about will be way below the audible range. I would
guess such a bell would have a nominal of about 180Hz. All one will
hear is a low-pitched tuneless crash.

However, this is a fantastic cost saving measure, because the bottom
half dozen or more keys on the keyboard or clavier can all play on
the same bell, and no-one will know any different. (This is an old
organ-builders trick for 32 foot stops.) To avoid each of the keys
producing an identical tuneless crash, each hammer could hit the bell
at a different point moving up from the lip towards the waist.

To have the bottom nine semitones (i.e. everything with a nominal of
less than 300Hz) all play at different points on the same bell will I
estimate save about 315 tonnes of metal. With enough bells, arranged
artistically, no-one will think to count how many there are.

Bill H