[Bell Historians] Riverside Carillon

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at aBscm9HFBwYSaGonuGWkD7tTY03zF-Ti1jRtIpfDitRdkaXzCHtFK_4s964Kj58YlzvoQc51C2s.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 26 15:46:03 BST 2008

At 11:46 +0000 08/08/26, jimhedgcock wrote:
>I think that I am correct in understanding that the G&J bass bell of
>this New York carillon was the largest tuned bell in the world when it
>was created.
>Is this still the case?
_____

So far as I have been able to determine, yes.  Although
larger/heavier bells have been cast since then, I have not seen any
evidence that any of them have been tuned.

Almost all of them have been hung singly, and thus need no tuning.
Those not hung singly are in Russian zvons, which are never tuned.

For some information about such bells, see
    http://www.gcna.org/data/Great_Bells.html

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
  Avocation:   tower bells:   www.gcna.org  (Webmaster)