[Bell Historians] GSM Cambridge and stretch tuning

Sue Marsden erincaters at CTmqH3iSFE2fiw79Ux9RrHFZyFKTeR9PfBOCB6aEOhLO-Im0jD3SeYpfk9K2bKVIbUJeNQa3NJ8td2Fc3ikEj3CfcQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 8 11:39:53 GMT 2008

2008/12/8 Bill Hibbert <bill at wUM1SsMK84jJxONM15JFqj2WHu2DAqOVF9Qi03GdcPL_PXMDW6ZbV4NtFzmYuWOUW7ogOTW_6zvPaA.yahoo.invalid>:
> RO:
>> When Taylors recast the trebles and restored [GSM] in 1952 they made
> them one of their horrible 'stretched' peals

This business about tuning is interesting. I would say I am fairly
musical (I can tell when someone is singing out of key, or if a bell
is completely the wrong note) but a lot of the more complicated
haronic stuff is beyond me (as it was when I attempted music O level -
I could cope with the basics but that was all) I have always forund
GSM fairly easy to hear - I can usually pick out the trebles and hear
all 12, which is not always the case when I ring at other 12s- for
instance I usually loose the trebles at Peterborough when they get
amoung the back bells. whether this is beacause of the tuning or the
acoustics is another matter. And hearing GSM does not make them any
easier to strike or ring - especially round the back end!
SEM