Orleans, ?, USA

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at xlqR-76Iryj2zhdks4GZBsGnc6O5pGqvvpTqGw9jOdv1GU0dTjl6Nsk9mWgBrX0P5im59lkQlW89.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 22 05:54:53 GMT 2008

Changing the subject from "Re: Comparing profiles"...

Terminology that's appropriate within a company, where everyone knows
the destination of an important contract, is not necessarily
appropriate for reference outside the company, where that context is
missing.

One of the peculiarities of the USA is that there are many instances
of city & town names which are used in more than one state.  (The
"classic" example is Springfield - about half of the states have a
town or city with that name.)  For this reason, it is always
appropriate, and almost always necessary, to include the name of the
state when mentioning the name of a city or town.

One special case is New York, since that name is shared by a city and
a state.  While it's OK to refer to the city as "New York, New York,"
it is much more common to distinguish them as "New York City" and
"New York state."  (If you wonder why City is capitalized and state
is not - it's because we've always done it that way!)

Actually, even if a town name appears in only one state, it is
important to use the state name in almost any context outside of that
state.  The reason is that road maps, the commonest non-computer
geographical reference tool over here, are always indexed by state.
Google Maps may accept a single town name if it's unambiguous, but
even there you're likely to need the state name eventually.  Type in
"Orleans" and you'll get "Orléans, France."  Type in "Orleans, USA"
and you'll get a list of nine places from which to choose.  (Oddly,
if you type in just "Springfield," or "Springfield, USA," Google Maps
will only give you Springfield, Massachusetts, perhaps because that's
by far the largest of the several Springfields around the country.)

In short, if you are referring to a city/town in the USA, and you're
not in the USA, always supply the name of the state in which it lies.
(If you don't know it, say so, or else find out!)  You can't go
wrong, and you'll probably avoid some confusion on the part of your
listeners/readers.

Carl

P.S.  Can anyone tell me just where in Orleans, MA, this ring of 10
is to be installed?  I've not seen mention of it before this
discussion.

_____

_____

_____