[Bell Historians] Sanctus vs Service Bells

Philip Denton philip_denton at nayc3lq0fLdhJmL6eTleLMrt4czANVSVe9UU5XXE3dK76MV62mHYOwVa4QznQlSTUYAWVOnF01GhTZaW3Dg8Pg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 27 21:28:53 GMT 2008

I suspect that the two terms - 'sanctus bell' and 'service bell' - are now to an extent used interchangeably, although some would still be keen to make the distinction.

I tend to think of a sanctus bell, rung at the consecration during Mass, as being typcially hung in a distinct bell cote, above the chancel arch. However, there are large areas of the country where this feature is quite rare, so presumably in such regions such a bell would have been hung in the tower itself.

Interesting that you should mention the Fosse Way. Having visited many churches throughout England - including many not qualified for entry in Dove Online - I have a distinct impression that the sanctus bellcote over chancel arch feature is much more commonly found in the limestone belt running roughly SW-NE across central England, than elsewhere. This, of course, corresponds with the Fosse Way. This is only an impression, mind - I haven't made a study of them! Has anyone else noticed this this regional concentration?

Certainly we have only a few examples in Essex.

Philip.

--- On Sat, 27/12/08, philholtsdgr <pippolucas23 at t9XWk3Hc36n5d-gcQz84DxUH0PiC4j8VwKqaeNJcTTUylnEy_NIWX1ucdZk2gWSYXKGEAQIwpeJ0M5soSg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
From: philholtsdgr <pippolucas23 at t9XWk3Hc36n5d-gcQz84DxUH0PiC4j8VwKqaeNJcTTUylnEy_NIWX1ucdZk2gWSYXKGEAQIwpeJ0M5soSg.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: [Bell Historians] Sanctus vs Service Bells
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 27 December, 2008, 6:27 PM

            I appreciate that there is a difference in the ecclesiastical

definition of Sanctus and Service bells, but am I the only person to

suspect that there are also geographical factors involved? Using on-

line Doves there appears to be a distinct area largely following a wide

band either side of the Fosse Way in which the name Sanctus bell is

used. Are they genuinely used at the elevation of the Host, or is it

the term a dialect survival to the English Civil War or earlier?

Phil Lucas