FW: [looktoanzab] Holy Trinity Hobart - breaking news

Richard Offen richard.offen at jL6NOEUbVgzjdmVe1ZC48saEiLkubivfXnrT5IvV-59voiKs-b2gf5fzmATG5ZcMhgPtK7gx1ggI3wqIPlrmGzgz.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 30 22:29:14 GMT 2008

The following has just been posted by Doug Nichols on our ANZAB list.

The news ends months of speculation about the future of Holy Trinity,
Hobart.

Richard

  _____

From: looktoanzab at yahoogroups.com [mailto:looktoanzab at yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Doug Nichols
Sent: Wednesday, 31 December 2008 7:20 AM
To: looktoanzab at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [looktoanzab] Holy Trinity Hobart - breaking news

http://www.themercu
<http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2008/12/31/47175_tasmania-news.html>
ry.com.au/article/2008/12/31/47175_tasmania-news.html

I haven't bought a copy of today's paper yet, but it would seem that
the story is out. I must say I'm relieved to be able to reveal some
information after holding back vital information for a few weeks now!

What the papers won't tell you is that the collection of photographs
in the ringing room (mostly about ringing, including a photo of the
band from the 1880s and the large group portrait of the Victorian
Association taken around 1890) have been excluded from the sale
contract and are to be donated to ANZAB. The old panoramic photographs
of Hobart - the only items of actual financial value in the collection
and also of great historical value to the non-ringing community - are
to be donated to the State Library. We, however, get to keep the
frames and have copies put in them, thus preserving the integrity of
our collection. As I understand it the collection is to remain in the
ringing room. All this is an outcome I have been pursuing for the last
12 months or more, so it is quite a relief to be "almost there".

We have yet to meet the new owners to discuss future ringing, but the
contract of sale includes a minimum guaranteed list of public
occasions through the year on which we (the Hobart Bellringers) can
expect to be given access to ring the bells for an hour. Personally I
hope that such a list is unnecessary and that in the long term we gain
recruits from the new congregation and a normal ringing pattern
emerges. But this remains to be seen.

I shall write a longer article for RT and/or the website in due
course.

Doug Nichols

12:06 PM