Warning lights

Alan Taylor alantaylor at scmUUrAYQnSr5b7lTuHJMUfVUBCTWwNWegVUbKR2V2M82uO0qb9RPs0q5Ou6YT4xDvFY0dwbNTHYtGdcDm2Pye8.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 31 12:55:04 GMT 2008

I thought I would share a problem we have discovered with the ringers switch
in the ringing room of St Clement Danes.

This switch is designed to disable the hammers used on the bells by both the
clock and carillon. The switch has a red light (don't swing the bells) and a
green which gives the go ahead to ring the bells.

A short time before Christmas the switch was placed in the green position
and a few minutes later the clock chimed the quarter hour. Fortunately, no
bell had been rung up. The hammers were then disabled at the control box on
the carillon.

The purpose of this posting is to suggest that those of you who have such
apparatus in your tower get it checked out for safety. I have told the
makers of that installed at St Clement Danes that we won't accept it back,
(it has been taken away) until they can guarantee that a green light will
mean that there is no chance at all of the hammers being activated when the
green light is lit.

Alan