[Bell Historians] More bells?

Roderic Bickerton rodbick at -1AI9d1agFZ3rPPnfULQHQ7Ffakld5wkxRcelSY0PMkf8oTO4H2vc_jlqYST5iomknGRWGrcuCyek2IYpM0.yahoo.invalid
Sat Feb 16 15:41:52 GMT 2008

Surprisingly that is not true for about 1/3 of augmentations.
Bells get added as a result of bequests.
Bells get added to provides a lighter ring.
Bells get added in the hope that it will be easier to attract ringers to say
a 6 than a 3 or 4

Augmentation, as mentioned, usually takes place where there is a strong
band. This could probably be shown by the number of quarter peals rung
there. I have a feeling, however, that with time, these fall off. If I could
have a list of augmentations I might be able to furnish a before/after
situation, say over a 5-year period either way.
There  is a 17cwt 5 in Kent just augmented to 8 and they are virtually
starting a band from scratch, they have a couple of ringers and a dozen or
so very keen learners.

AAJB.

	----- Original Message -----
	From: Andrew Wilby <mailto:andrew at A4h1bNcw0hB9F7OkUihoJSREcsKFpEdgjqPoAQaDN6HVTpIfKCcdt2F6ILIh7PkpK4WTX1T85Ng.yahoo.invalid>
	To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
<mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
	Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:14 AM
	Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] More bells?

	I did a "desk-top" survey a while ago and it appeared that in fact a

	very high proportion of 12's did have a 12 bell band of sorts.
Having
	done a quick refresher I supect it is around the 75% mark currently.

	My gut feeling, with no evidence, is that this is probably better
than
	the 10's 8's and 6's with most of the 12's having stronger than the
	average bands ringing 10 and 8 quite a lot if they meet short for
12. If
	the other number did as well we should expect to see more ringers in

	total than the 30,000 guild membership statistic and the 40,000 C of
	survey figure that we are given.

	Every location tends to have different circumstances and a
significant
	number of 12 bell towers are in cities where large groups tends to
cover
	all.

	Back in the 70's at the start of the 12 bell contest there were only
5
	places which had indigenous 12 bell bands which you could consider
local
	and self-sustaining. Since then the number of 12 bell centres has
grown
	dramatically as indeed has the number of 12 bell towers over this
	period, having just about doubled. The National 12 bell Contest can
	claim credit for stimulating much of this growth and enthusiasm.

	I think also that there is a strong demonstrable correlation between

	augmentation and an upsurge of ringing activity that creats a
	sustainable ringing "hotspot" for years to come.

	Hasn't there always been a tradition of augmentation over the past
300
	years, driven by interest in change-ringing? I would guess that the
	amount of augmentation in any period will relate to the social and
	economic standing of the ringers and their ability to attract or
	generate funds.

	I think we should start to worry very seriously for ringing if
	restoration and augmentation starts to dry up.

	Andrew

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
19:08

Checked by AVG Free Edition.