[Bell Historians] 3 bell restoration

Peter Rivet peter at S_fGoAI4wVaOtOlygorwT6WgrPr-bzhHZsQHOhx6S54hgZ44WxmRbGpbjbrQrdIz_fnzIbHeTpuIy3svUw.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jan 20 10:28:24 GMT 2008

I agree - the trouble is that rehanging with chiming levers or hammers costs
a lot less.  We have three rings of 3 in the Lancaster area and two of them
do get used occasionally.  We also have chimes of six and eight which so far
as I am aware aren't used at all!

Peter Rivet

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Colin Turner
  Sent: 20 January 2008 09:47
  To: nabbers at yahoogroups.com
  Cc: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [Bell Historians] 3 bell restoration

  I recently had the pleasure of ringing on the restored three bells at
Stirchley, Shropshire. The work here was carried out by Matthew Higby et al,
and rather unusually resulted in the bells being reinstated for full circle
ringing. The last time I heard of this being done was at Downhead, Somerset,
where the work was carried out by, er Matthew Higby.

  This is a most refreshing change, as nowadays most "restorations" of
lesser numbers involve hanging the bells dead or fitting them with levers. I
appreciate the additional cost involved in a complete rehang, but often
wonder that after an initial burst of enthusiasm following conversion to
chiming, how many towers with three lever chimed bells actually use all
three bells each week? I've not heard of many active chiming bands, so my
guess is that in most places a single bell is used briefly before the
service. So what has been achieved? In a lot of cases nothing, a single bell
that was chimed anyway, is still heard once a week.

  Does anybody have any thoughts - or hopefully evidence to counter my
musings?

  Colin