Great Abel

Bill Hibbert bill at ar7Pez4Iqovjy1l47Z1oSEoiB1Gm97v2209dMwh_-UciQN6GMeuba7aR1-ZLmh268zWRcSIKvEWhig.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 30 21:27:05 GMT 2008

Chris Povey:

> Great Abel, as measured by Taylors on Sept 26th 1898
   Hum    Fund   Tierce Quint  Nom
A  107    200    249    303    413.5
G  97     183    226    290    379
> Why frequencies for two notes are given,  I don't know.

Great Abel, as recorded by me with a video camera from Albert Square,
June 17th, 2000:
   Hum    Fund   Tierce Quint  Nom
   97     183    226    290    378.5
i.e. the second line of figures to within a gnat's tadger.
As regards the first set of figures, for Major (Newcastle) I have:
   103.3  196.3  247    300    412.9
and for Great Bede after the 1901 retuning I have:
   102.7  205.3  245.8  349.6  409.4
(note the much sharper quint). No other UK bells in my database of
tuning figures come close.

Cheers,

Bill H