[Bell Historians] Bell diameters

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at MVd05jzwACyZw-Rov3NBuQiY5-t7qvS9KMFjhOM-g0WGlaiOV81tZT4s99rCUlr6FMhthORDz-pp2v1RgThw7piFk4hG.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jan 31 14:21:49 GMT 2008

It's like the carpenter who could not order a piece of wood over 3ft long so he ordered a piece 2ft 14inches.

AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Hibbert
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:26 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Bell diameters

  Thanks to all for their help with this, on and off list. Steve Ivin
  points out that we have already discussed the sizes of the Westminster
  quarters, on April 22 2002 - David Cawley gave the sizes then. I hope
  David and George will forgive me for pointing out some discrepancies in
  the data supplied, as follows:

  Great Bede: DLC 6' 5 1/2", GAD 6' 10 1/2"
  Westminster Q2: DLC 2002 4' 0", DLC 2008 3' 8 1/16".

  Perhaps these bells are not round! :-)

  Also, regarding Alan's weight for the Wanamaker bell, 310-1-23 must be
  the correct reading as 28lbs = 1qtr. I have seen the figure of 310-1-28
  in more than one place, it is a common mis-reading. For clarity, I
  assume this is the weight of the 1923 bell which no longer exists.

  Bill H