chiming, was request for help

Laura Dickerson lauradi at ZjAsD6Fc_rKNw1oGMqJtqDbTwvnSgVvqS3SeZFC7xdCGrX_9IvA4O-4JeVrRpnooyGDdd4YKRZwRZzA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 21 12:17:18 BST 2008

    At the Church of the Advent in Boston, Massachusetts, the tailors +
age are rung at the END of the funeral.  No possible association with
informing the populace.  It's meant to be some sort of tribute, I guess,
and apparently is quite meaningful to people.  Traditions, however much
borrowed and then changed, can be emotionally important.  The bells were
stopped for a while during repairs and the first ringing after that was
for a funeral - a couple of people mentioned to me their worries that
the ringing wouldn't happen, and their relief that it did.
Laura Dickerson