Chiming

George Dawson george at AKcoRyk1NDwVMuCKldpGKFekBW2LeBOnR7rbHrz2EfxhEZZ13hW5xRypEYslE3t_lV4tiQOV8gXMLS2OwSLyFodNOA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 21 20:41:24 BST 2008

This is getting silly. Since there seems to be very few of us who continue
the 'tradition' in our own ways, I for one don't think I'm going to take any
notice of the current 'political correctness'.

And for those who don't know what chiming is (rather than full circle
ringing) then I despair.

George

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of jill.rogers96
Sent: 21 July 2008 19:44
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Chiming

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
<mailto:bellhistorians%40yahoogroups.com> , "Sue Marsden" <erincaters at ...>
wrote:

> . But it's a
> > tradition which has no current usefulness (not that usefulness is
what
> > matters) and it is a discriminatory one, which, if applied to the
> > living, would be illegal.
> > John Camp
>
> So what about ringing 2 blows 3 times for a woman, and 3 blows twice
> for a man? Repeated as necessary The total number of blows would then
> be equal! But would still enable distinction to be made between male
> and female deaths.
> SEM

In addition to the equal treatment of the sexes, there is also the
added advantage of this suggestion As there is an even number it
allows the ringer to set the bell on handstroke without the panic of
what to do when it is set at back stroke after the 9th.
Jill rogers