[Bell Historians] The nine tellers

John Camp camp at lcLwmWzBG1o5Qh-r9qtFGP9nHQxbNvL-BR3M0QKb1DHJ_Ro2YXwXF7a1jjM4X1fhCi20uD_EAX340Q.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 21 22:10:43 BST 2008

At 21:48 on 21 July 2008, john [Ketteringham] wrote:

> By the way I think when we refer to a bell being 'tolled'   we think of a
> large bell and a small bell is 'chimed'.

OK.  But if you ring a bell which is 'up' in a slow and deliberate
fashion, pausing between strokes, doesn't that count as 'tolling'?  I
think that the word has more to do with what it sounds like than how it
is produced.

John Camp