[Bell Historians] Metal Prices

Richard Offen richard.offen at iruY70-ah_HNj1rOlR0YRUbDceV8CaAvbGRkXf7rXhsEwoJtG0kqhWn60bMkdf6NgMyM2rIovQcOk9xRetvV2ORc.yahoo.invalid
Sat Mar 1 12:52:01 GMT 2008

 St John Maddermarket, Norwich, were taken out and sold for scrap in
1970, when Gilbert Thurlow was Diocesan Adviser, not the mid-1970's
when I was. These bells were ringable, although there was organ
obstruction. But I did go along with the removal in 1975 of St
Gregory's unringable six, the residual value of the metal being used
to cast and fit up the two trebles at Beetley and the remainder
to 'pump-prime' the Norwich Diocesan Association Bell Restoration
Fund.

> I have the fate of Tivetshall St Margaret - 1976/7 - at my door.
They were a totally derelict five in a remote area, the tenor being
split almost in two and the medieval 4th fallen. That was
rehung 'dead', the split tenor and very poor toned 19thC third were
scrapped. The late Bill Hughes generously kept the two trebles by for
18 months until we failed to find a home for them - he had actually
paid the parish for the metal and so was out of pocket for their
value at a time when bell metal was fetching a high price.

> DLC

Bill Hughes also tried very hard to find a home for St John
Maddermarket bells (this was the days before CCCBR Rescue Funds and
Keltek), feeling strongly that it was criminal to break up such a
fine peal of six.