[Bell Historians] Re: De-augmentation (was Upper Beeding)

Philip Denton philip_denton at WrQQRXpLGgXuf-ShXNCEhFFGOzPGzm2VndBLJkAbqr02iJDRvbLo7vBdsP777Xi91yzX-0CePsQ3spft28WTyNMZ1Ts.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 3 17:34:29 GMT 2008

Yes, I agree, but I think there are two separate issues here.

  From the tonal point of view, if a good five has been compromised by the addition of an inappropriate sounding treble, the matter might be resolved by tuning or replacing the treble - provided there is adequate room for the bells and the ringers!

  I know there are some who feel that augmentation of lower number rings is by definition a mistake, even in towers which can easily accommodate the extra bells and ringers. I'm sure at the other extreme there are those who feel that every tower should contain the maximum number of bells that can be physically accommodated.

  I suspect the problem at Upper Beeding is not primarily the tone of the bells, although they could do with tuning - I've rung a lot worse! They are indeed only an 8cwt ring of eight, but it is only a small tower, and the ringing chamber really is uncomfortably cramped with eight ropes and ringers. Even with six, there will not be much surplus space.

  It is only my opinion, but I can't see the appeal of ringing at places where the ropes fall so close to the walls that it is difficult or impossible to ring in a conventional manner; or where they fall so close together that even ringers with a good handling technique risk catching adjacent ropes; or where in an upstairs chamber there is barely room for even one or two people apart from those actually ringing.

  "Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK)" <roderic.bickerton at RA4SI1DDPZfjU5yo4E-UyIfa324fdkl6WrKKLdl65I23XefWgPXFNjLW2vZ-nvjXwii9xlDRXS3p2HE3Hz5sggVyluNVfx4wzg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
            But if you do not ring the 'orible treble you still have the 5.
  How many unfortunate augmentations, 5 to 6,  do you know where the additional bells are not used.
  Most of us prefer 6 even if the treble seems to say "guess who made mmeeeeeeeee...."

        SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England Wales. Company no. 02426132