[Bell Historians] Bell frame for sale (of no practical use)

David Bryant davidbryant at F6SmyJNaOQcuZ9fydI-b26VUjgeSih5n2I3BgdC5RjgsBjR9SA36pscgwfB1pHjBlF8KPD8NGqUC1qEmv2_oqEUbKeM.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 14 14:29:08 GMT 2008

"Actually I found the advert a bit low-key and hardly overselling it (It could have been 'Unique example of seventeenth century carpentry').The real question was whether anyone knew anything about it and if it is of any unusual interest. Placing a small ad in the Church Times might indicate lack of knowledge or lack of wider interest."

Realistically, who is going to want it? If they find someone they will be very lucky!

I really do think that the current 'save everything' approach is getting out of hand. Yes some, particularly good examples of frames which are representative of their period of construction should be saved but what is really achieved by keeping as many as we seem to now? I've seen a few examples of moderately-interesting but not unique frames put on RSJs at the top of the tower, where it's pretty much impossible to inspect them properly and they are removed from their original context being in a different place in the tower and without the bells. Surely in many cases the need for historical evidence would be better served by a detailed documentary record and the preservation of, say, a representative frame truss mounted on the wall of the ringing chamber?

The basic problem seems to be that English Heritage (and DACs in some cases) seem to consider worn-out bell frames to be of more significance than the continuation of the tradition of change ringing. In cases such as that at Romsey Abbey, where the existing frame was repaired at considerable expense with no guarantee that it would be suitable afterwards, you have to wonder what the point is. It is highly debatable whether the historical significance of this frame was such that it was worthwhile spending more on it than a new frame would have cost, and given how much timber had to be replaced can it really be considered the original frame in any case?