[Bell Historians] Moseley St Mary

Peter Whisker peter at kNrliLPKXi1FqjZz0skZ4j3ngNeBQ3BzEyJ3VoZ8vIe8gUiXesXK6yI_wxHEdudI8_Zlu2W5Qdx4_0cOxQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed May 21 13:24:05 BST 2008

After speaking to the 4 ringers from Staines who were there, the bell
had been hadling very oddly during the Call Changes which preceded the
incident. It had become very odd-struck and they were struggling to make
it strike in the right place.

Investigating the bell afterwards, the side was missing from one of the
bearing  housings, and one of the gudgeons was broken as well. It may be
that the housing broke first and the gudgeon was rolling up and down the
frame.

When Cambridge was called, once the Tenor started to dodge, it came off.
She told me it was the loudest noise in a belfry she has every heard (in
some decades of ringing) and dust came down on top of them.

The steeple-keeper (TC?) was still in the church and went up into the
tower to investigate. He came down and said "It's not good, actually
it's very bad...." or words to that effect.

I think that they may be looking to replace the ring with a lighter 8 in
bell metal if they can. Not many people love the sound of ex-Sheffield
steel bells.

Peter