McShane bells in the British Isles

George Dawson george at GPrItDjUJJaLfGpqY41JrWFhjEZneONQmXBFuybb2Xi7BTO5nCAgFu6rI8MA57RwzUIbfWs42F-80dj1RQronvQxhf_XCQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 24 08:58:13 GMT 2008

The Falkirk bells are in Cloustons CB Stirlingshire.

In 2000 I visited McShanes & they were kind enough to let me see their
casting book from which I got the real weights  rather than the ‘official’
weights.

George

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Carl S Zimmerman
Sent: 23 November 2008 22:48
To: Bell Historians List
Subject: [Bell Historians] McShane bells in the British Isles

It has long been known that the McShane Bell Foundry (Baltimore,
Maryland, USA) sent a chime of 13 bells to Falkirk, Scotland (1926).
But very little has been reported about their exports elsewhere. (I
thought that there had been a mention of one bell in England, perhaps
on this list, but it's not to be found in the Archives.)

This past week I acquired a photocopy of McShane's [August] 1888
catalogue, which runs to 120 pages, plus 30-page Supplement dated
Nov.1889. Two-thirds of the catalogue is occupied with lists of
places to which McShane bells have been sent, with the expressed
intent of making it possibly for any potential purchaser (at least in
the USA!) to visit a "nearby" place to hear one for himeself. The
list of "foreign" places occupies only 1/3 of a page, but includes a
few places which might be known to other subscribers of this list. A
few testimonials are interspersed with the lists, and the Supplement
is entirely occupied with testimonials.

Does anyone know whether McShane bells (all single, I presume)
survive in the following places:

St.Anne's Church, Birmingham, England (Rev.J.Dowling)

St.Mary's Church, Heaton Norris, Stockport, England (Francis Reichart
paid £20-10 for this bell, and remarked, "We had to build a proper
Tower for it which is now finished, and the bell is so far a *perfect
success*.) [* = italics]

St.Coleman's [sic] Church, Gilford, Ireland

Alexandria, Egypt (Rev.S.C.Ewing)

Wesleyan Chapel, Oracabessa, Jamaica

Meth.Episcc.Church, Bareilly, India

Church of the Sacred Heart, Mhow, India

The introduction to the Supplement mentions that another bell was
shipped to Ireland, but unfortunately does not mention its
destination. And of course the foundry continued to produce bells
for a further six decades, about which I have as yet no information.

Carl