[Bell Historians] Armada bells

John Paul Adams J.Adams at ohGZSHF9_cVpZyBDe3dFFZ7oc6-R2li8cW3TT-MHwWYp9nwbko6nU1DamIFBKAiCQhcxVmJRjhI.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 30 13:26:10 GMT 2008

Chris P:

>> So, survival rates apart, from what we know of bellfounders and
>> the practice of dating bells there aren't likely to be many bells
>> bearing the date of the Armada, 1588. A little searching in George
>> Dawson's NBR lists would show if any others survive.

There are 18 bells listed in the NBR as being cast in 1588. The NBR of
course only covers England. For comparison, there are 28 for 1589 and
31 for 1560. Those listed for 1588 and 1589 seem to be exact dates but
all for 1560 are c1560, I assume meaning circa 1560. None exact for that
year?

Going the other way, for 1587 there are 23 and for 1586 there are 12.

E&OE, it was a cursory glance, can do more details analysis when at
work tomorrow if there is any interest.

John.

--
   John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section, Cruciform Building
         University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.