Bell diameters

George Dawson george at Kh0U1QtXbxv1-PMvF6f7N_WTgdqf9aYgf1IlKIu3E2BEKmjtkoQnIAMkMgorZZ4YbD3L8p936jZnMV8KhlDVzprJl7I.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 1 12:15:01 BST 2008

Don't I remember a large bell in Somerset being weighed by the locals??

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 01 October 2008 12:06
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Re: Bell diameters

"I know of only one occasion* when a bell has been weighed locally in a
tower and there cannot be many more than this

(Clue - it is currently lying in its pit!)"

There are more than this. If bells are rehung without removing them from the
tower they are often weighed in situ. Admittedly, this is almost always done
by a bellhanger, though.