[Bell Historians] Big bells was Riverside bass bell

David Cawley dave at Yd46jtXhc-iRvtruy0R8DVHxAJKlJdmt20jcM0oLl9LZsoVyvV8bR3ZLtuCXaBWlJmc6R9HKYfO8J9FtehGaOZ7y4cI.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 10 12:25:42 BST 2008

Thank goodness for a return to sanity (though Alan Taylor's version of the W.A.T. expression is the correct one) :)

No doubt there's a lot in what George says about microphones. I cannot believe that the Japanese would pay out for what sounds like a right old bucket. The French bell at Newport I've heard digitally recorded, and it's reasonable for what it is - very much like a large version of the Savoyarde (1892) at the Sacre-Coeur. It also clappers right which the Dutch bell apears not to. The best thing about the Japanese bell is the audience enthusiasm!

For untuned bells, give me Great Paul any day. A credit to its founders as much now as when it was first cast.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Dawson
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 9:16 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Big bells was Riverside bass bell

  The recent Eijsbouts bell in Japan - looks untuned to me:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urKCqrzUGM

  Peace Bell at Newport Kentucky (Cast by Paccard):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6Ll_QH9u0

  Both sound disappointing to my ears! Using Bill Hibberts Tuner - both seem to have fairly wild harmonics!

  I rather suspect the sound you hear reflects the microphone rather than the bell!