St Mary's Oldham Hopefully readable.

Michael Orme MikeOrme at LZPAYXAXzrIkl5IPnGrgy20xATmv93zDrO47O4uU3Wesd1mZg0ghKi_MighwIkkCrXOft8WNdTNu.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 9 14:06:00 BST 2008

David Sloman wrote:-
Some of the Abraham Rudhall ring of 1722 from St. Mary's were
dispersed when the 1830 ring was installed, one to St. Peter's
Oldham, one to St. James Oldham and one possibly to Newton Heath
(since recast-if it did go there).

Is the disused Rudhall bell in the tower at. St. Mary's, one returned
from either St. Peter or St. James or another bell. Would be grateful
for any information.

Derek Thomas, Tower captain St Mary's Oldham has provided the
following:-
The bell in question was the one from St James'. It was acquired
during the time they were also disposing of most of their Gillett &
Johnson 10 bell carillon, 8 of which are now hung for ringing in Fen
Ditton Cambridgeshire.

It was installed in the tower during the spring of 1983, at the same
time as the new flat 6th bell was added to the ringing peal. The
original intention was to have it hung so that it could be used as a
sanctus/service bell. This still remains an objective, but as with
many churches, other priorities have taken up what little funding has
been available.

I believe that this bell was probably the 6th of the old 8 (i.e. the
4th of the 1722 Rudhall 6 – two more bells were added c 1781/2)

The bell that went to St Peter's back in 1828 eventually found its
way to St Ambrose Oldham in the late 1960's when St Peter's was
demolished. St Ambrose never made any use of it and it remained on
the floor of their Church Hall. I enquired about its availability
sometime in the late 70's/early 80's when the project to raise funds
for the flat 6th was up and running.

The incumbent at that time, Rev James (as in the beer brewed by
Brains) said he would discuss the matter with his PCC and invited me
to make contact again.

When I did so a few weeks later I was appalled to discover that my
first visit had made them realise that they had something of value,
and that in the intervening period the bell had been broken up on
site and the metal sold for scrap (to Whitechapel I think, but I
don't have any written evidence). This was the worst possible course
of action that could have been taken as I could have arranged to meet
the scrap valuation figure and have avoided the bell being broken up.

This bell was larger than the one from St James, so I assumed it was
probably the 5th of the 1722 ring of 6. (7th of the old 8)

I believe the old tenor did go to Newton Heath All Saints and was
subsequently re-cast. The other 5 bells went to Mears prior to the
casting of the 1830 ring of 12 for the new Oldham Parish Church.

Hope this information helps.     Derek.

Likewise,  Michael Orme.