[Bell Historians] Bell hangers' gimlet

Jim Phillips jim.phillipse9ox at 72bGWhZnqhNhheT9qvcYveVG-N-MpqMGq08SJs11s-RjPRat3rAVn5APcboGJCJBiMJlBK3Rfg9bO0YVrm0ktgGPpcNr3w.yahoo.invalid
Sat Aug 8 16:39:12 BST 2009

  RO wrote on Saturday, 8 August, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

>Many country houses have similar indicator systems below the servants >bells.   These systems in many houses were very elaborate.

In June of this year I attended a wedding at Cliveden, a magnificent building in equally magnificent grounds, now a hotel.   Remember the Profumo scandal?  I was quite prepared to swim in my underpants in the infamous pool but was prevented from doing so.  After a considerable amount of an Austrian wine (very good and exclusive to Cliveden)I found myself in the servants quarters when searching for the 'gents'.  On the wall opposite the kitchen was a bank of 27 bells hung on large circular springs, obviously operated by cables.

Behind each bell was a painted board indicating nursery, schoolroom, library, duke's room etc.  Can any other country house boast 27 or more separate bells to summon servants?