[Bell Historians] Lincoln College

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at e6-3n_0Pb7b69gwQ-vb-eaq0wua0ZZYxlPOOp_yBQOm9EN2zdlVaOfaZdoH7UJNFbFlJ22IvI-vQ0FMS93rqD2atxAkgww.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 1 13:18:03 GMT 2009

Thanks for all the input on this matter but it looks like I have been on a bit of a wild goose chase here.
I have just found the following Records for South Fambridge and
John Eccles was indeed the Rector from 23/11/1795 up to 22/10/1802.

http://ccedb.cch.kcl.ac.uk/jsp/DisplayAppointment.jsp?CDBAppRedID=161018

http://ccedb.cch.kcl.ac.uk/jsp/DisplayVacancy.jsp?CDBAppRedID=157307

So it would appear that the old church was provided with this bell by Rev. John Eccles before it was demolished in 1846. It does not however fully explain why John Eccles name is incised and not cast on to the 1796 bell. One possible explanation is that it was a `stock' bell.

Why Rev. John Eccles was involved with South Fambridge in the first place is a question for others to answer, but it would appear that he was indeed Rector and probably supplied the church with a bell because as far as I can determine, it had been without one since 1552!

Brian Meldon