[Bell Historians] FW: HAVE a bell from the 1700s ...

Anne Willis zen16073 at Sonp9pG8iyrKqAMIX6PQjbh9UHyhHtTrj3WBiNbm7324yLsOmwaGd4V-lxzDYkq5b3PwJJkQX-M.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 8 15:18:47 GMT 2009

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Chris Pickford
Sent: 08 December 2009 14:28
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] FW: HAVE a bell from the 1700s ...

Carl comments "It seems very odd that a bell of this relatively small size,
with intact crown, was drilled for the addition of a lifting bolt
(eye-bolt)"

More likely, surely, that a false crown staple was fitted at some stage -
and the hole later proved convenient for fitting an eye-bolt.

Given Anne's posting, I perhaps wasn't clear enough that the lady I
identified earlier almost certainly IS the person named in the inscription,
i.e. the widow of Sir William Stapleton (3rd Bart) who would have been known
as Dame Frances Stapleton from 1699 until her death in 1746. The question is
whether or not the bell was cast for the family seat - Greys Court at
Rotherfield Greys - or for some other location.

CP

I think you were quite clear; I didn't see your posting until I had made my
reply.

Anne