[Bell Historians] Silver coins

Bryan McCahey b.mccahey at _-lQoSScYw535A9uOyPDTuEF6kd3j6miCSzVQLLsbNijdoqghq7TGgwpqreAE5CciRX1hNE331Xd1U6X.yahoo.invalid
Wed Dec 9 20:30:57 GMT 2009

David's comments about Cyril Johnston and the sixpences is borne out by an anecdote I heard from Ellen Parker, one-time tower-captain at Halsall, Lancs. Halsall bell s were recast by G&J in 1931. Ellen, then a young girl (the tower-captain's daughter) remembered a sixpence being thrown into the mould when the church party was present at the casting of one of the bells.

Bryan McCahey

________________________________
From: David Cawley <davidl.cawley at x1730Anmc-OhDj4dDxD-QtYciWnbRkR2d69uym047HHZQEM6ZlAq_scZmjqev3t9ws9eQXUl5B5fhKrGW9BVcETX5w.yahoo.invalid>
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, December 8, 2009 6:59:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Silver coins

So far as silver is concerned, the last British
circulation coins to be minted in .925 (Sterling) silver were struck at The
Royal Mint in the early months of 1920. The price of silver as at the time
greater than the intrinsic value of each piece, and a Currency Act was rushed
through allowing the circulating silver coinage thenceforward to be struck in
50/50 Silver and a copper-nickwel alloy. Shortly afterwards the price of silver
fell as spectacularly as it had risen, but the Sterling standard was never again
used for circulating coins. The banks gradually withdrew the Sterling silver in
circulation, which exaplains why people of Rod's age (and mine) seldom found
silver coins dating from before the reign of George V; bronze was common, dated
as far back as 1860.

He is quite correct about florins (2/-, two
shillings, 24 old pence, 10 new pence). Indeed, they were legal tender
until July 1993 when the smaller sized 10p coin superseded them, as had happened
with the shilling (5p) in 1990, and the sixpence (2.5p) in 1980 and the
halfcrown (2/6, 12.5p) as far back as 1970.

But there are two survivors of the old coinage,
though hardly "currency coins". One is every surviving Crown struck between
1816 and 1980. The face value was 5/- (25p) and they remain legal
tender. After 1901 they were scarceley struck as regular circulating coins,
more as souvenirs. Identical size crowns dated after 1980 have a face value
of £5. The other survivor is Rod's 3d, i.e. the silver threepence of Christmas
Pudding fame. The last issue was 1944 (a wonderful year for births :) The size,
weight and composition of these tiny coins is identical to that of the Maundy 3d
/ 3P coin of the respective year. When the Decmial Currency Act was passed, it
allowed for the 3d coin to be revalued at 3P, as percentage increase which must
be unrivalled in British numismatic history!

To revert to Bells. Cyril Johnston used to carry a
sixpence or two in his pocket, and was wont on his most prestigious and often
"star-studded" casts to hand such a coin to the celebrity with instructions
to throw it into the ladle, while he exclaimed "Bang goes sixpence" - often
faithfully recorded in the Press coverage of the article.

DLC