Stays

Dennis Powney dennis.powney at hQOvKwX8qqLmotlHnc1m2IYepatzGzBbx2rEdqucVyG4QJH99dYNVK9OQ0CL-5bLdEi0ukrGlYyQbSM7tQfxpocFhjE.yahoo.invalid
Tue Feb 24 19:35:38 GMT 2009

In his will, written in 1760, Daniel Butler of Bromham Wilts gave his occupation as a stay-maker. Was he employed full-time making the stays to hold a bell in the mouth-upward position, or could he be making female undergarments! Or, is there a third meaning to the word STAY that Daniel could have been engaged in making in rural Wiltshire in the 18th century? Any suggestion will be most welcome, thanks.
Dennis Powney.