[Bell Historians] 'The Church Bells of England 1912' on Million Books Project

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at ZUlXG4qYkfTAcTgKd1pjsKg3sRh75YflX3vYI5nN0QvUkdtXD1BbJMuQJTGnZkZUmSzmq2d3TnY26GtkA98PpHdqySyx.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 21 12:38:45 GMT 2009

This is just the tip of the iceberg; there are in fact over 40
different titles available that are of use to the bell historian on
this site and also on Google Books. For example try searching for the
various author's names, Walters, Alfred Gatty, James Raven, Thomas
North, Stahlschmidt and even Ranald Cluston.
There are also other titles from various archaeological and historical
societies that contain important papers and research about bells. One
of the best I have found from the point of the Canewdon bells is an
article about and including the complete translation of the 1552 list
of all church good for the churches of the Rochford hundred in Essex
published in `Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society' of
1863. (The `Essex Arch Trans iv' source used extensively by Deeds &
Walters in Church Bells of Essex.)
I am sure there are many more similar gemms for other areas of the UK.
For a beginner in the field of church bell research, such as myself,
the on-line availability of these rare publications with instant
access to cross reference information shortcuts research that would
have taken many years, if ever to accomplish only a short time ago.
Many previously separately researched pieces of information can now be
brought together to form a better historical understanding of
individual churches, bells and bellfounders than has ever been
possible before.

Brian Meldon

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Sam Austin <sam0austin at ...> wrote:

> Tilley and Walters' Warwickshire is in there, as it North's
Leicestershire,
> Rutland, Bedfordshire
>
> Aye
>
> Sam
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Brian Meldon
> <CanewdonBells at ...>wrote:
>
> >   For those who missed out on the recent e-bay auction of `Church
Bells