Paul Cattermole

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at Me3fYaRGInQsR-QM5WK2TVPymBQYsdz27XEtb186W11_xJ_MS0ppeVngghFS0OoHCmwcwNLypQWkDh4WKfxnvP6NoDDqmcVB.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jul 31 19:43:42 BST 2009

Deeply saddened but not surprised is all I can say to this news. Paul had been battling against illness for some time, yet remained remarkably positive and maintained his keen interest in ringing and bell history to the end.

He taught me to ring and gave me my lifelong passion for the belfry. As a teacher he was an inspiration to many. He was a fine ringer and his writings represent a scholarly and lasting contribution to the history of bells, ringing and of his beloved Norfolk. He will be missed but his work and example will live on

Coincidentally, Hayden's posting was the first thing I saw on arriving home thus evening having spent the day at Ullingswick with the Dalton family at a meeting about Christopher's photographs and papers. Strange how things work out sometimes.

All very sad - but I shall always remember Paul with great affection and gratitude. May he rest in peace

Chris Pickford