[Bell Historians] Restorations etc

Richard Offen richard.offen at dVSN1qfG9mvT6-Y2E7AGIiex8ilptHP36NicjM83N9Ib1Khoz3gvgWtLNvmIEo4_XJunquC8LAj59444Zt7Q07whZOU7.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 24 14:14:57 BST 2009

I remember Doug Hughes telling me that when Mears and Stainbank decided to
start fitting ball bearings, his father consulted a great many leading
engineers of the day, all of whom, given the application, came up with the
pretty much the same answer and resulted in the product that the firm used
for a good many years and, in most cases, with great success.   Liverpool
Cathedral bells are hung on these bearings and their go amply demonstrates
that, given the right conditions, all those engineers were on the mark in
their advice.

Personally, I still think well engineered and carefully looked after plain
bearings take a lot of beating.

  _____