[Bell Historians] Restorations etc

David Cawley dave at bJS32NH7lGfL-odM4JkcXLYxyoKg0xYyJF_y61_IOrAIu9zm70xLM8V0kUNcwE_L0hofN5Tt8XtqG6nKyak05MUkaJY.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 24 14:31:05 BST 2009

As I said, the statement about "unsuitability" was a long standing one of Taylors', and (if you believed it) a good sell for their type. It was sometimes accompanied by deprecatory remarks about the accompanying bedplates as "simple strips of metal", and the method of securing being "mere coachscrews as opposed to proper bedscrew bolts". I've not seen that sort of expression in Taylor reports for many years now.

An attractive feature of the M&S type as opposed to what JT advocated was of course economy, and it enabled many "impossible" rings in cash-strapped churches to continue in use at a cheaper price than JT or G&J would have charged for theirs.

I note what Rod said about pinching. I remember a Kent job done in the early 70's which was a remarkably successful restoration. At a practice, however, it was stated that one of the larger bells did not go as well as the rest, and there was no visible reason for it. I ascended whilst ringing was in progress and took the back cover off the housing, and came down to find all smiles. Of course, the cover had to be replaced to exclude dirt, but the following week I brought with me and fitted a retaining washer half the thickness of that originally on the gudgeon, and I understand that they've been happy ever since.

On lubricant for bells, do I remember in my youth that certain tower cards advised the use of "Belmoline C" for ball bearings; and exactly what was this substance, supposing it ever to have existed?

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Roderic Bickerton
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:31 AM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Restorations etc

  I would challenge the statement of unsuitability of Whitechapel single row
  races, they were excellent by design, but some suffered from 3 possible
  installation faults, the first being an unsuitable grease which attacked the
  housing and turned into a substance resembling chocolate.
  The second was not allowing enough end float sometimes resulting in
  pinching.
  The third was the design of the gudgion baring retaining washer, which
  sometimes came loose, allowing the retaining screw to rub on the housing
  causing contamination, which resulted in destruction of the bearing.

  Over enthusiastic grease packing causes grease pumping losses, and can cause
  the baring to fail. There needs to be enough space in the bearing housing to
  allow the moving parts of the bearing to clear themselves of grease, and run
  un encumbered by grease. This is well known.

  The bearings themselves were self aligning because the outer raceway had a
  spherical outside which was housed in a spherical holder with a plain
  outside.