[Bell Historians] Newport, Shropshire

David Willis dcwillispiano at CudXZ9YFy9t9TS2hsvzOn92Bq9g-lEIbXkKYMgSLSqTfd5LvGNakh0CIyd2HCiM86zvXq0A8wJvMn9fBSw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 29 21:51:15 BST 2009

Indeed they are but as I learnt to ring there , and am somewhat biased , I waited
for someone else to say so.

The county does indeed have it's share of poor toned rings but some noted
in Fred Sharpe's book would be well thought of in most counties. A few from
memory, Easthampstead - a modern light 8 with large wheels, Reading St Mary
and East Hagbourne obviously, Farringdon, Shottesbrooke, Harwell, Thatcham.

Whitechapel have been busy there since that book was published. White Waltham,6
and Wokingham St Paul,8 have been recast,  Milton,8 and Abingdon,10 are
replacements, Wokingham All Saints partial replacement, and augmentation to 10
at Wallingford . All should be counted desirable rings.

Yes, some of these are no longer in "Berkshire" . Perhaps on another list we might
note that the Berkshire Downs are now in Oxfordshire.

David